Looking for the first step in working with scuba diving as a career? Your adventure into the professional levels of recreational scuba diving begins with the PADI Divemaster program. Working closely with a PADI Instructor, in this program you expand your dive knowledge and hone your skills to the professional level. PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. Beeing a PADI DM is the prerequisite certification for both Assistant Instructor and Instructor certifications.
During the PADI Divemaster program, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organize and solve problems as well as helping to improve your diving skills. You put this knowledge into action through a structured internship or series of practical training exercises.
We normally conduct a Dive Master program with internship. This means you help us with everyday diving logistics and dive shop duties so that you understand the real role of a certified dive master.
PADI DIVEMASTER – WHAT YOU’LL DO DURING THE PROGRAM:
- Self-study the academic materials
- Complete the knowledge reviews of the Divemaster student manual and review them with your mentor
- Pass the Divemaster exams
- Complete an Emergency Assistance Plan
- Complete dive maps of local dive sites
- Pass 4 Stamina assessments
- Pass the Equipment Exchange
- Pass the Diver Rescue assessment
- Pass the Confined Water Skill assessment
- Take part in various Workshops and DM Conducted Programs
- Assist up to 6 times during PADI Open Water courses in confined water
- Assist up to 3 times during PADI Open Water courses in open water
- Assist up to 3 times during continued education courses in open water
- Guide certified divers in open water
Next to these requirements every dive master of B&J will also be trained and has to show proficiency in:
- Organization of dive trips
- Conducting dive briefings on the dive boat
- Equipment handling and servicing
- Using compressors
- Sales and customer service
- General dive centre logistics, organization and operation
After becoming certified as a PADI Divemaster you will be authorized to:
- Supervise both training and non-training-related activities by planning, organizing and directing dives
- Assist a PADI Instructor during the training sessions for any PADI Diver course.
- Conduct the PADI Skin Diver course, the PADI Discover Snorkeling program, PADI Discover Local Diving experience, PADI Scuba Review and PADI Discover Scuba Diving.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THE PADI DIVEMASTER COURSE:
- You’ll need the so called PADI Divemaster Crew-Pak which includes:
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- PADI Divemaster Slates
- PADI Instructor Manual
- The Encyclopaedia of Recreation Diving
- PADI Professional Log
- DSD Cue Cards
- PADI Pro Bag
- PADI Divemaster Application Package
- Furthermore you will need (not included in the course fees):
- RDP Dive Table and/or eRDP
- Cutting Device
- Dive Slates
- Dive Computer and/or underwater timing device
- Surface Marker Buoy and Reel
- Complete set of dive gear (rental included in the course fees if you don’t have your own)
PREREQUISITES FOR PADI DIVEMASTERS:
The prerequisites to start the Divemaster program are:
- 18 years of age
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver certification or equivalent
- PADI Rescue Diver certification or equivalent
- EFR certification or equivalent First Aid qualification with CPR (course completion within the past 24 months)
- Have at least 40 logged dives to start the course and 60 logged dives upon completion of the program
- Be fit for diving and submit a complete PADI Medical Form signed by your physician (within the last 12 months)
DIVEMASTER COURSE DURATION:
We believe in conducting in-depth courses where you’ll learn a lot. The time required to become a Divemaster depends also a lot on your existing experience level and it is best if you can spare around 1 ½ months on Tioman which will allow you more than enough time to become a capable and skilled Divemaster. It is highly recommended that you start studying the training materials before beginning the DM program. Please ask us for delivery of the training materials to your place or even take part in the PADI eLearning where you can study everything online.
DM COURSE FEES:
The complete Divemaster program excluding the Divemaster Crew-Pak costs MYR 3,500.00. You will receive a discount of MYR 200.00 if you have completed any other courses with us prior to your DM Internship.
These fees include all dive equipment rental if you don’t have your own. We highly recommend that every Divemaster should own a personal set of dive equipment and you will need to have (or purchase) a dive computer, surface marker buoy, reel and cutting device. We can assist you to purchase suitable items and you will receive a special discount on retail products.
We have special offers if you plan on staying in our Dormitory during the Divemaster internship. Just email us for more details or click the button below. Alternatively also download and view our pricelists from this page.
Become a PADI Divemaster with B&J on Tioman Island. Simply fill out our contact form and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.